Thursday, July 19, 2012

Busy, busy, busy! And some kings








We took the opportunity to snap some pictures by my brick on the Bill Riley stage!



 Hey everyone! I realize I was a little slow to update my blog after this crazy weekend! It was spent all over the great state of Iowa in five very short days. Friday I spend judging a wonderful group of girls in Pocahontas County; on Thursday I will go back to "Pokie" to crown one of these lovely ladies! On Saturday my sister Krayton, Mom, and Lora Vaske traveled south to Des Moines for the Corndog Kickoff at my "other home," the Iowa State Fairgrounds! The Blue Ribbon Foundation holds this event to raise money for the one and only Iowa State Fair, and it is one AMAZING event! For two hours we grazed around trying all the (somehow free) fair foods. What more could a girl ask for? I even managed to try my very first infamous turkey leg and Gizmo. I don't know why I hadn't tried them before! After filling our bellies, Bill Riley Jr. served as Master of Ceremonies for the auction. This auction was absolutely wonderful Some items sold for over $20,000! Some people really love the Iowa State Fair, and it is amazing that it has that much support.
Pie time at the auction!

Helping Mr. Bill Riley Jr. out at the auction













I think Krayton liked it too!


Gotta have a corndog at the
Corndog Kickoff!














Sunday morning we kept moving East to Washington County, which is just south of Iowa City. There I got to judge a great group of girls! The community in Washington is highly supportive of the coronation. Every seat in the theatre was filled! Mariah Carey, 2012 Miss Iowa, was there to emcee for the night; she is an absolute joy to be around. In January she will compete at the Miss America Pageant in Las Vegas. Good luck Mariah! Once the night was over, Lexi Marek was crowned the Washington County Fair Queen. She will do great at the Iowa State Fair! 
Miss Iowa and 2011 Washington County Queen Shawn Sieren
All the Washington County Queen Contestants...such an awesome group!
Goofing around with Miss Iowa!
New Queen Lexi!
This guy owns the barns that were completely covered in signs just outside
of Washington. Such an amazing place!
Check it out!
Finally on Monday, we headed home, but not without stopping at the state softball tournament in Fort Dodge to watch Gehlen Catholic play. It was my first time at the tournament, and it worked out perfect for us to stop by even though I have been so busy! I'm keeping my wristband! That night I went to the Sioux County Youth Fair to crown their new queen. Each of the girls did a talent portion during the show, which was a great addition! They also added their very first "Little Miss" contest, which was adorable! Brooke Jacobsma took home the crown...can't wait to see her at the State Fair! 


Yesterday afternoon I went to Ida County to judge another queen contest as well as my very first KING contest! It was very interesting to see the guys perspective on my "If you were a plant, what would you be and why?" question. There were no flowers this time around! I also got to spend some time with my very own O'Brien County Fair King, Jeremy Maass for a few hours to discuss what we are planning for the very soon crowning of the new O'Brien County Fair King and Queen. The fair starts this Saturday, and I am so very exciting to spend the week on my home grounds and with my 4-H family. 

Today I'm off to Poweshiek County Fair! So long everyone!
Sioux County Fair Queen Sara Kleyer!

Queens!


All the Ida County Contestants
The very first Ida County King!
2011 Ida County Queen, Michaela Else

No comments:

Post a Comment