Thursday, July 12, 2012

Newbie Queens


The past few days I have been buzzing around Iowa high and low judging and crowning new queens! I’m actually typing this as Dad and I head home from Bloomfield, Iowa from Davis County. With my Pillow Pet, laptop, and Dad’s conversation in tow, the ride hardly gets boring!  Here’s the update on the past few days of travel.

Dakkota and I before judging in Montgomery
On Tuesday I was so excited to go and visit one of my best friend from queen competition Dakkota Druivenga! After a day at the pool (which I definitely needed to get rid of my stubborn softball tan lines!) I was honored to be a judge for the Montgomery County Queen Competition. They had a record fourteen girls run! We started judging around 8 on Tuesday night and didn’t finish until about 11:30; it was quite the night, but I loved every second! Their queen will be crowned in a week…it is killing Dakkota not to know!

Montgomery County Queen Contestants



Interviews for the local T.V. station. 

The "Queens" with Mr. President!


The new Davis County Fair Queen, Emma Griffen,
State Fair Board President Gary McConnel, and I after crowning.
On Wednesday morning, Dad picked me up after spending the night with Mom and Krayton in Omaha with our cousins. We made the trek across Southern Iowa to Davis County and I was surprised to meet up with Iowa State Fair Board members Gary McConnel, Jerry Parkin, and Bob Schlutz. After talking with Gary, I realized how much I missed my “state fair family.” It is truly a blessing to have them in my life. I also judged their queen contest all afternoon and had the honor of announcing the winners at the coronation. I thought Davis County did a really unique thing for their contestants. Each girl had to invent a product to solve a problem they have experienced at the fair at one point in time and they were so creative! It was a great addition to their coronation. The 2011 Davis County Fair Queen, Cecil Knapp, and I were also asked to speak on the local TV station LIVE! The last time that happened I was at the state fair!  Congratulations to their queen, Emma Griffen, she will make a lovely queen! 
Future Hawkeyes!

Before leaving, Gary McConnel thought it would be great to introduce me to some fellow Hawkeyes as well, who are also going to play baseball and football this fall! We snapped a few pictures and Dad and I were on our way home!

No comments:

Post a Comment