Thursday, July 5, 2012

One Hot 4th of July!

With a heat index of about 110 degrees, it is safe to say the Fourth of July was HOT, but that brought out lots of fun for me this week! I was honored to sing the National Anthem in Sheldon at the Village Northwest in front of many families waiting to gaze at the fireworks on Tuesday night. Before I sang, the Village honored one of their male athletes as the Iowa Special Olympics Athlete of the Year. I got to meet Keith, the award winner, and I saw the excitement in his face about the night and his honor. I know why I want to work with people like Keith as a music therapist; it truly made my day!

State Fair Board member Gary VanAernam invited me all the way back at the State Fair last year to join him in Exira, Iowa for their annual 4th of July Celebration yesterday as well. Exira has a population of about 800, but on the 4th it fills up to about 10,000. I didn't believe him, but the parade route was absolutely full! What a crowd! Plus, I got to ride in Gary's sweet 1964 Red Hot T-Bird...very cool! I also got to see Miss Audubon County, Chelsea Nelson, whom I had a blast with at state competition. We were quite the models on our first night together. She placed as the 2nd Runner Up overall. She is a sweetheart! My sister Sterling and Dad joined in the fun as well and trekked down to Exira with me. We made a few stops on the way back to see Albert the Bull in Audobon and snapped a few pictures of Dad taking his nap in the back seat! Little things like this make all the fun! 

On Saturday I will be heading to Knoxville, Iowa to judge the Marion County Queen Contest with Mom and sister Krayton. Sunday will be filled judging and attending the Cherokee County Queen Contest and banquet. I get to dig out my formal gown once again...can't wait! :)

Just a little hot and sweaty in Sheldon
Iowa Athlete of the Year, Keith and I
Speech time!

My wonderful queen Miss Audubon County, Chelsea Nelson. We were modeling buddies at state competition!

State Fair Board Member Gary VanAernam and our sweet ride!
Albert the Bull (Ster and I are under there somewhere!)




Dad looks a little scrunched in the back while taking his afternoon nap! Looks comfy to me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment