Sunday, July 29, 2012

Home Sweet Home :)

Every year I look forward for some time at the O'Brien County Fair to show off my 4-H exhibits, compete in the shows, and hang out with all my fair friends. Even with a crown on my head, this year was no different! Last Saturday began judging for non-livestock exhibits and thankfully my sister Krayton and I finished all our projects by midnight the night before! It was definitely crunch time! I was fortunate enough to send four projects to the Iowa State Fair and Krayton will be sending five.

On Monday evening it was time to give up my county crown. With my co-partner in crime (O'Brien County Fair King), Jeremy Maass, we said our good-byes. I was so very fortunate to represent O'Brien County and its 4-H program. I have truly been shaped as a person by the leaders, peers, and activities it has offered me. During my good-bye speech, I managed to thank everyone except Krayton until I remembered at the last minute. I felt terrible, but Krayton is such a good sport about it. I promised her she would be the first person I would thank in my speech at the state fair! At the end of coronation Alexa Albert and Bryan Goettsch were crowned the new 2012 O'Brien County Fair King and Queen. Congratulations!

This wasn't the end to my fun at the fair! On Wednesday evening, Bill Riley Jr. was willing to come and emcee our county's very first Bill Riley Talent Search! For a first go-around, I felt it went very well. The rain came halfway through the show, but I feel it is safe to say, no one minded one bit!

All good things did come to an end, and I finished my 4-H career on Thursday evening. This year's fair was filled with memories with my friends that will last a lifetime. Thank you O'Brien County!

Right after the fair, I traveled to Lucas County in Southern Iowa on Friday morning. On our way there, Dad thought he should make a stop through a Chevy dealer in Lake View. I was asleep when we pulled in at the time. I realized we had been stopped for awhile, so I got out to find Dad talking with a sales guy. Turns out Dad wanted to take a pick-up for a spin. He ended up buying it! This may be one of the most expensive pit-stops we have made so far! In Lucas County I was honored to judge and crown three wonderful girls to be crowned their respective county queen. They even gave me a box of chocolates from the old time candy shop, Piper's, in town. They went great with our meal from Applebee's while watching the Olympics Opening Ceremonies!

Last but not least, I went back to my roots yesterday to Plymouth County. I don't believe I have missed one Plymouth County Fair my whole life. It was such a blast to walk around with the fair royalty and help out for a day. I got to help display items on the quilt auction, do a radio interview on KLEM (I did that as Little Miss Pigtails a long time ago!), and sing the National Anthem at the Grandstands before the DemoDerby. Of course, I squeezed in a few games of BINGO for tradition's sake.

It has been a wonderful week as queen! There are only two more stops for me before heading to the Iowa State Fair once again. It is crazy how fast this year has gone!



Lucas County Queens


KLEM Radio Interview

Plymouth County Fair Royalty and I. They were so much fun!



O'Brien County Fair King, Jeremy Maass

"Vintage Royalty"

New Royalty!

Dad's New Ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment